Friday, August 15, 2008

Day 18 Truth or Consequences,NM to Las Cruces,NM 82 miles 1200' climbing

It's almost over!!!! Today was a little subdued...with everyone now anticipating the last day of riding tomorrow!
Craig and I rolled down the hill and thru T or C this morning...minus Chip who was over at Denny's polishing off a Grand Slam.
We were joined by Team Slauson and soon got a nice steady paceline working south towards Las Cruces. We took advantage of Rest #1 in hopes that Mr. Grand Slam (Chip) would come flying by. As we pulled out...there he was. Ipod in...a sure sign that he meant business today! He was a man on a mission. Craig and I barely caught him. It took Team Slauson a few more minutes to get caught on...and then we were 5! The route took us thru some really beautiful farmlands along the Rio Grande River and into Hatch,NM...world famous for it's chile peppers! A few close calls with farm dogs (the good thing about being up front is the farm dogs haven't had a chance to gauge your speed..they usually chase for about 100yds and then retreat). Chip quick- stopped lunch and rolled the rest of the way into town solo. As we got closer to Las Cruces, we started seeing huge groves of pecan trees...that soon gave way to Las Cruces' sprawl! Craig and I met up with Chip again for a quick stop at the DQ for milkshakes...man, it was hot today!

The hotel had a margarita reception for us...then Chip and I walked over to the Old Town section of Las Cruces. Reminded me of St. Augustine...with plenty of cheesy tourist shops...and heat!

Tomorrow we roll for the final time....Las Cruces to El Paso! I'm fortunate to have a welcoming committee when I get into El Paso tomorrow in my mother & sister-in-law. It will be great to see them! It's only 65 miles...so I hope I'm not too sweaty & stinky! To be honest, Craig, Chip and I were ready to just keep riding on to El Paso today!



















Some may say it's the internet, television, radio, or even the thermos...I now believe "this" (the motel waffle machine) is man's greatest invention!


















rollin' towards Las Cruces



















the Rio Grande River...not very exciting!



















we rolled in to Hatch,NM just as the kitchen van was passing us. The speed goes from 45 to 30 and Mr. Sheriff was at the ready to make his quota. Fortunately, he only gave them a warning. We were really worried it would slow them enough we'd miss lunch!! The humanity!!!



















did I tell you it was hot today?


















Craig rolling thru the pecan groves



















The Old Town Square in Las Cruces



















somehow...I don't think Billy would be proud of the fact they sell fudge and t-shirts in "his" store. He was more a bullets and whiskey guy!



















business must not be so good...lot's of store are closed down.

























"Sucker Punch Sally's"?



















The Organ Mountains that loom over Las Cruces from the east.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you loved the waffles.
We loved having the PAC our back at Hot Springs Inn

Unknown said...

Hey David, Craig sent me your way. So far I'm good, tho it might be harder for me to read all about the riding than doing some riding myself!

To respond to just one note in this particular blog - and just for fun! - in my book the Two Greatest Inventions are the mute button on the TV remote control, and the intermittent wiper function in your car!

Glad you had the endurance to power through! But where was Cat Berge: do I have to plow thru ALL your blogs to find out?!

~ Bill Dunn