Saturday, August 9, 2008

Day 12 Montrose,CO to Durango,CO 115 miles 9200’ climbing

Today was pretty magical! I was really surprised I climbed so well today. Yesterday’s ride took a lot out of me…and tomorrow is no cake walk! Just kept turning the pedals…trying not to focus on the summit. Now, if I could just descend like the other maniacs I am riding with I wouldn’t be riding alone so much!

The weather in the mountains of Colorado can be very unpredictable. We rolled south out of Montrose with a clear blue sky…but as we approached the base of the first climb the sky was looking threatening. We rolled thru the old mining town Ouray, which was actually pretty cool! A wide Main Street with lot’s of vintage architecture…completely surrounded by the mountains. I’m sure this place was pretty wild back in “the days”!
Soon after we cleared town and started the long climb up to Red Mountain Pass at 11,000+ , Chip decided to go all Carlos Sastre on us! He was gone! I reached the summit and then the old mining camp…and as I turned the corner noticed a flagman had held up Chip and a few others (all considerably better climbers than me!) for some road work.
I was back on! We had another 1000’ of climbing and then a monster descent into the valley. Soon I was alone again. These guys are crazy! Plus…I have to stop and take photos so you can see what it all looks like…right?

Next up was Silverton for our lunch SAG. What I had always envisioned the classic Western town to look like. Steam locomotive, great vintage western architecture, and hundreds of tourists! Most take the steam train up from Durango. Straight out of lunch it was another climb up to Molas Pass…I hate to eat and climb! Some of the most spectacular scenery ever! And roads like velvet!

With all the trauma with the bike yesterday…I really needed some time alone today!
It was really pretty amazing out there! I rolled the 35 miles from Coal Bank Pass at 10,640’ into Durango by myself. Made a stop at the local bike shop for a new computer…and grabbed some great BBQ across the street at “Serious Texas BBQ”.

Tomorrow is another long day with just short of 9000’ of climbing down to Chama,NM.

Colorado was really beautiful!





















There’s been a lot of commotion about Fat Tire beer lately. I must admit…I’m a convert to the “Tire”!























rolling out of Montrose with the day’s climbing on the horizon


















this must be one of the most scenic RV parks on the planet!




















I knew he had a window on Main Street,,,but his own State Park? And who knew he had the nickname “Dutch Charlie” (inside joke to Disney folk)




















here they come…





















as we passed…she yelled out what sounded like: “Keyes…I’m gonna kick your butt!”






















Joel and Chip dodging tourists in Ouray!




















Ouray from above…no helicopters!




















Heading for Red Mountain Pass



















about ½ way up to the first pass, Lon was by the road to take photos. Thanks for the pic!



























some pretty shear drop-offs today!



















roads like silk!



















Matt from Seattle…passing me…again! He is absolutely fearless on the descents!




















The Red Mountains






















Old mining cabins near the summit



















I made it!!



















and then…the pay-off for all that climbing!



















Beautiful downtown Silverton,CO


















believe me…I gave this plenty of thought. It would have been so much easier to take the train down to Durango! Though not nearly as satisfying!


















Looking back at Silverton. Immediately following lunch we started this climb up to Molas Pass at around 11000’. Climbing on a full stomach is not fun!




















descending from Molas Pass


















Last big climb of the day…

















for my horse lover! Some little ones, too!


















Port-a-potty study #2

3 comments:

Cori D said...

Sugarloaf will never look the same, will it? Lots o' climbing out yonder! ;-)

Katie said...

Hope today is a great one....your third day of climbing 24,000 feet, and 350 miles!

Everybody loves your pix and stories!

xoxo...

Rob G. I drink water said...

David you know a true roadie would insist on 'skinny tire beer'.

Just think how dense your RBC's are gonna be after all this time at altitude. Watch out sea level Floridian riders, When he gets back DR's gonna have good blood.