Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day 17 Socorro,NM to Truth or Consequences,NM 77 miles 2700' climbing

Today was Day 2 of Team Time-trial! We hadn't planned to go hard again today, but there was a threat of rain and it was pretty hot in the sun by 7:30A. The route today was very lightly traveled frontage road that paralleled I-25...for the entire 77 miles. I think 3 cars passed us all day! We knew there'd by zero shade and the road was recently chip/sealed...nice and black to radiate heat! It started as Chip,Craig and I. We picked up Matt about 2 miles in...and then Joel jumped onto "Team Time-Trial flight #75" bound for Truth or Consequences (TOC). 77 miles seems like nothing at this point....but the route today was a long series of rolling hills. It was a very hard interval workout and began to wear on all of us. You'd roll down a hill for 30 seconds and then climb for 2 minutes....rinse and repeat about 100 times! At Rest #1, (35 miles) Joel said he'd had enough. Craig, (still not 100%) managed to hang on for about 10 more miles. Then it was just Chip, Matt and I...and by the lunch SAG (which was not yet setup) I was starting to fade! We only had 10 miles to go to TOC, so we filled water bottles (and I snuck a big bowl of pudding) and set off. It was pretty easy to keep a well-disciplined paceline today because we had mile posts to mark our efforts. You pull for a mile and then drift to the back to rest. My thermometer registered 102 at the lunch SAG....we were glad to be done so early. We had lunch at the TOC Denny's...and then I rolled down the hill into the town of TOC. Or, what's left of any semblance of a town. Ironically, today was the Grand Opening of the new WalMart. Guaranteed to be the final nail in the coffin of whatever businesses are left in the downtown area. Pretty sad! This was our first outdoor motel pool, so most everyone took advantage of it! The tan lines have really gotten out of control!

I needed to change up my riding and today was the perfect workout! After 3 weeks of long steady efforts it was time to throw in some really hard interval efforts. I can really feel the last 3 weeks of power in my legs.

Only 2 more days of riding and I'll be in El Paso! It has really gone by fast!



















I take a lot of grief for the large quantities of food I consume. Now it's my turn! Last night as we sat down for dinner, I turn to Lil and Raymond at the next table and asked what they were having (it looked really good). A few minutes later, I heard them both order a second helping. A few moments later, the waitress showed up with two dessert pizzas. Please let the record reflect: I only had one entree, one beer and one salad! Well, I had a milkshake and a Whopper before dinner...but that doesn't count..does it?


















back out into the prairielands of New Mexico



















the early version of today's Team Time-trial...Joel Matt & Craig.




















today's infinity road...


















trust me...the restaurant looked as grungy as this pump! They'd have had to "pay" me $100 to eat there!



















Matt, making what may be the very last withdrawal from the First Gravitational Bank of New Mexico...I think it's pretty flat from here to El Paso!



















Chip pushing me up the big climb out of the canyon!

























New Mexico grasslands




















NM 181 heading south towards TOC. Yes, 12 miles of totally straight blacktop warmed to an uncomfortable 102 degrees!



















We had another 3 mile section on I-25 today. Basically, bomb the downhill (background) and then dig your way up the other side. That deposited us back onto NM 181 and the rollers...for the remaining 15 miles into town.

2 comments:

Katie said...

David, I'm going to post Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps 12,000 calorie a day diet. Of course he's a lot taller than you and almost 50 pounds heavier, but you have remarkably similar appetites....

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

You're in good company 'Eater'!

xoxo....

Unknown said...

From your great photos I notice a lot of greenery in the heat, and very little traffic.

That must have been nice!

BillD