Monday, July 28, 2008

Riding out of Kalipell

Today's weather is really spectacular! I'm still on Florida time...so I woke up around 5AM. Got a quick coffee and a bagel and hit the road around 7AM. Most of the others were sleeping in so I headed out solo...east out of Kalispell and then south down to Big Fork (insert joke about how much food I eat here!). Great roads with wide shoulders and spectacular scenery...just a glimpse of the beauty to come! Crossed over the Flat Head River and passed wheat fields that stretched to the horizon. A beautiful day on the bike!

The PACTours vans were set up in the parking lot when I got back. They sent a rolling duffle that goes into the van along with a small "stash box", filled with Clif Shots, Clif Blox and Clif Electrolyte mix thanks to my pal Rocco and the king folks at...you guessed it...CLIF Bar!! Computers are stored separately! It all works like a fine-tuned machine.

Had to make a trip to UPS to ship some extra stuff home and get my bike box off to El Paso, then stopped at Sheri's Barbershop for an $8 haircut. It's off to the Pita Pit for lunch!

















Crossing the Flathead River














Riding into the early morning sun along Hwy 35















Some really spectacular farmlands!















It was at this moment that I was reminded why I enjoy riding my bike across the USA!

















Montana self-portrait #1
















Happy Horses for Kates!















Road kill skunk #4


















Where your breakfast cereal comes from!























My old pals..."the rumble strips"....are back!

















No caption needed!
















This one's for Brother "G"
















Me and Sheri...nice $8 haircut, eh? She's a bit of a Pack Rat




















The PACTour mechanic shop in full-on prep mode!

4 comments:

Rob G. I drink water said...

That guy getting the hair cut looks a lot like the David Roark I know but it must be an imposter. This one only ate a bagel and drank a coffee for breakfast. The one I know eats 2 eggs, hash browns, 3 pieces of bacon, a short stack of pancakes and 2 pieces of toast all of which are washed down by coffee, O.J. and milk. I won't believe this is the real David until I see a picture of his breakfast on the blog.

Katie said...

omg bunny hop...you and me both. I have to feed this bear everyday! A bagel?

Think he's suffering from 'Robnothere syndrome'

And that haircut...

God in heaven, please keep him safe!

Cori D said...

Please explain why you needed to go to Kalispell for a haircut? I KNOW you're not that cheap! Keep the beautiful images comin' so we can all live vicariously.

Unknown said...

Awesome pics DD! Simply awesome!!

I am going to be in Colorado for the next 1.5 weeks. Wonder if you'll be riding by when I am still there?

Keep taking the great pics, especially the beautiful scenery!

And have a great ride brotha!