Thursday, July 10, 2008

4th of July Weekend...continued!

This was my last “block” of training days before Ridge of the Rockies.

The week worked out like this:
Friday 7/4: 90 miles with the “Beach Ride” at moderate~easy pace (19 average)
Saturday 7/5: 78 miles out to Errol and back (20 miles out and back easy at 18mph…the middle 35 miles at 23+ average)
Sunday 7/6: 100 miles out to Windermere and back…in the hills!
Monday 7/7: 60 miles along A1A…St. Augustine to Flagler Beach and back (big chainring efforts 4X20 minutes to help simulate climbing)
Tuesday 7/8: 75 miles along A1A (St. Aug to Ormond Beach and back) as a time trial at 22+ average
Wednesday 7/9: 50 miles along A1A St. Aug to Hammock Dunes and back (big chainring efforts 4X20 minutes to help simulate climbing)

Just over 450 miles this week!! I think my training plan is working!
Each day I felt strong and rested. Riding along A1A is dead flat and not the best training ground for a mountainous route like Ridge of the Rockies. I think the big chainring, solo efforts (into a stiff northeastern headwind for 30+ miles) will really help. This is a big contrast to last year when I was severely over-trained and pretty burnt out from too many long (120 mile +) rides.
I was actually looking forward to each of these rides...where last year I was ready to throw my bike in the trash!

Had a great time at the beach. We cooked, ate (too much), played lot's of cards and got some good rest! Each evening there were storms off to the west that cooled off the temps. It was a really good getaway!













The bridge over Matanzas Inlet...where the Intracoastal Waterway meets the Atlantic!

















self-portrait as I rolled into Flagler Beach















my favorite section of the ride!














if you've got to have a beach house...it may as well look like this!

















Katie trying to avoid my camera! Going from the air-conditioning to the humid beach air creates some cool special effects!

1 comment:

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.