Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 3 Butte to Bozeman, MT 101 miles 4200' climbing

Same spectacular weather today. Starting out from Butte it was around 40 degrees (I don't do cold!)...then up to the high 70's again as we reached Bozeman. I'll take 16 more of these please!

Only 101 miles to cover today so we got to sleep in until 6A. 10 miles in and we started a long climb out of Butte...that served as the perfect "warm up" for the day. A long stretch thru the stunningly beautiful high plains was followed by the perfect lunch along the Madison River. This is Lewis & Clark territory. It's amazing they managed to survive out here! The river is now a favorite "tubing" destination. We ate lunch (grilled chicken burritos) as folks floated by...looked pretty cold to me! Had a long 4-5 mile climb before hitting Bozeman.

My training for this ride was very different than the training for last year's LA to Boston. In place of the really long (120 mile+) rides...I stayed with shorter distances (nothing over 105), but at a faster pace. As a result, my legs feel much fresher this year. I've been able to maintain a good pace up all of the climbs and still have good power in the headwinds and on the flats.

Another good group today...though the climbing tends to separate us. Craig (who I found out today happens to be the California State Time-trial champion on tandem...great!) and Chip, are clearly the climbers of the group. Andrew and I are just having fun trying to keep them in sight! Our signature day is still ahead with 146 miles and almost 10K' of climbing...I'm saving myself!

It was another amazing day on the bike!

I've added a link to Chip's blog in my links box to the right. He's quite the cinematographer!
















The first of my favorite signs: "Truck on cheese"!! It means a long downhill is coming....weeeeeee!



















The drive-up window at the First Gravitational Bank of Montana...and I'm about to make a big withdrawal!!


















down we go...
















rollin' into the valley..

















Chip


















"It's high noon...and there ain't enough room around here for you boys. You best be rollin' on!"

















I told Craig to go ahead (ha!) so he could "add a sense of scale to this shot"!! You'll have to click on it to see him on the right.


















Craig...going up!


















Little Houses on the prairie...




































Andrew working to keep us in sight of Craig and Chip!

















Today's "Prairie Train"...















a lone horse...for my horse lover!

















rollin' along the Madison River...
















Hey Sheepman...this is for you! That cake was much smaller after I passed thru the line. Come to think of it...the pie was much smaller, too!

















Lunch SAG along the Madison















Uh...Andrew, can you save a little sunscreen for the rest of us mate?
















Andrew and I rollin' to Bozeman...
















It's harvest time...and I complain about having to mow my lawn!


















Hmmm...may have to check this place out! I'm sure BunnyHop would have been able to wrangle the Manager for some free grub...just because my name is David!




















UPDATE!!! Famous Dave's was fabulous! Just look at all of those awards! Especially loved the "Devil's spit" hot sauce...yummy!

6 comments:

Rob G. I drink water said...

I'm thinking more like a free "Famous Dave's" t-shirt so you can wear it with the one we scored for Katie in Topeka.

Unknown said...

Another awesome day and great set of pics! Keep on truckin DD!

Katie said...

Just watched the videos Chip took on your trip, (Chip's blog link is at the top right of David's blog for anybody else that wants to watch the videos)...

Wonderful seeing the scenery, and YOU riding!

xoxo..
Katie

Katie said...

p.s.

the lone horse photo is a cover for hank williams

...i'm so lonesome i could cry..classic hit..

that is one sad photo to me.

xoxo
horse lover

Nisan said...

That chocolate cake looks delicious.....dark & cream.
Thank you!

Message to Chip: more videos of Dave R.....and desserts, specially anything chocolate.

Unknown said...

hi dd!!! your pictures are fantastico... love living in park city, where we have some great riding and climbing, too!
if you see lil again, give her a big 'hello' from me.
hope the rodfather and i can get to WY to see you this week.. the dudleys and i leave for leadville friday.
rubber side down!! wendy c