Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 2 Missoula to Butte, MT 137 miles 4100' climbing

Another beautiful Montana day! Temps in the high 70's and crystal clear. We've gotten to be a pretty tight group now...Andrew, Craig, John, Joel and Chip (until he tires of us and flies up a hill...never to be seen again!). Early on we took a wrong turn. We were running parallel to I-90 with a RR track, a large field and a barbed wire fence between us and the interstate...our intended route! We could see some of the other riders had turned around and were already flying down I-90. We kept going! It was pretty funny when we hit the dead end...just as a mile-long freight train came by. Once it passed we had to climb up and over the tracks (with our bikes)...thru the field...and then squeeze thru a small gap in the barbed-wire fence. Hey...it's an adventure!

I flatted again today..about 200 yds from the Super8 in Butte....aaargh! Other than that...pretty uneventful! Just a ton of fun riding with these guys!















Flowers for my beautiful wife!























Over my shoulder looking back at the group. Notice the Rob Landes signature bandana


















Cassie and Andrew at the end of our "wrong turn" this morning!


















Andrew is always there to lend a hand...even if it's some sticky barbed-wire!


















I-90
































































Cat and Cassie. I figured I better get a shot of them this morning. When we hit the mountains I'll, likely, never see them again!























Craig and Chip
























Rolling into Phillipsburg,MT

















Some "puppy love"...sorry Jack!



















Today's sandwich creation: Chicken breast with edamame and quacamole, topped with tomatoes and spicy mustard!


























After the last major climb we headed downhill for about 20 miles into Butte...with a 20+mph tailwind!! I love doing 32+mph without pedaling!





















Big Sky country!



















Wisdom to the right....Opportunity to the left. Wouldn't you know it...I'm going straight!

4 comments:

Katie said...

thanks for the flowers...

love talking to you most, keep having fun!

Wisdom and opportunity.. think you made the right choice!

xoxo!
Katie

Unknown said...

I love the David Roark sandwich creations!!! Need more!!!!

Rob G. I drink water said...

I've been looking for that bandana! I saw that Cassie had Hammer gear on. Is it John or Joel who has the Hammer jersey on in this post? I've been using Hammer exclusively and have felt a significant improvement in comfort and performance. I know you are mainly a 'solid food' kinda guy but I wondered if you had tried any of the Hammer.

Unknown said...

Man I am jealous1 Those views are magnificent!