Saturday, July 19, 2008

Bike's away!!!

Yesterday was the day my bike was shipped off to the ride start in Kalispell. Shipping a bike has always been a hassle. There are no shortage of packing options...from the standard cardboard box (which, surprisingly, is how most new bikes are shipped to your local shop) to hard cases that can cost as much as $500. I like my bikes and feel I should do everything I can to keep them safe when they need to travel...but, I'm not spending $500 for a case! Another consideration has always been the disassembly/assembly necessary to fit a bike into a case. Lubricating my chain and changing a tire are about the extent of my mechanical ability!

For last year's LA to Boston trip, I did a good bit of research on shipping options. Finally settling on the AirCaddy. It's a very sturdy triangular-shaped container. Other than loosening the handlebars, taking off the front wheel and removing the seat post....there is no other disassembly required. I drop the rear derailleur just to be safe! This year, they've redesigned the box and gotten an agreement with FEDEX to ship the AirCaddy domestically for $75 (about 1/2 what it cost to ship last year) using Shipbikes.com. And...they'll pick it up at my house! I also like knowing when it gets to Kalispell...thanks to a FEDEX tracking number!

I'll be riding the Kestrel (which I rode on last years La to Boston) until I leave next week. It's been refitted as a timetrial bike more suited for shorter distances. My body is not very happy with a radical change of bike position. Tomorrow's last 100 mile ride will be painful!

Travel safe my friend!

3 comments:

Rob G. I drink water said...

D.R.
I look forward to riding the Rockies vicariously through you over the next several weeks. I just returned from Kalispell on Monday. I went out to a Hammer Nutrition Highline ride. We rode the "Road to the Sun" out of Glacier. There was still snow at the top of the pass and i thought something was actually wrong with my fork only to realize I was shaking so hard I was moving my bars. Have a great time and Godspeed. I hope you climb like a mountain goat with 3% body fat who has Biofreeze lathered up on it's gonads. Score a mistake at one of your DQ stops for me.
Rob a.k.a. wont pay retail

Unknown said...

Dave
How do you have your bike geared for all that climbing?

Ruhe

Nisan said...

Travel well my friend.
Ride safe & fast.
And send some dessert pictures this way.

Sheepman.